Wednesday, September 05, 2007

New on Endangered Species List: The Lunch Hour

How many of you take lunch? One article on MSNBC talks about the extinction of the lunch break.

"We’re all too busy these days to take a leisurely lunch and we also want to get out of work at a reasonable hour so we can have some quality time with our families and friends. If you work through lunch, the thought goes, you can get out of the office before the witching hour."

Sometimes I guess you can feel like that. I know I have, when there's a lot going on and I feel like I don't have enough time to do it all, I will eat at my desk while I work. I've read this before and I think it is pretty true with myself that:

"… giving up your lunch break could actually diminish your productivity, causing you to end up putting in more hours in the long run, not to mention what it does for your health and well being."


Just do a search on productivity and taking breaks and you'll find a plethora of articles and blog posts about how taking short breaks helps increase productivity. It seems contradictory, but it's true. How many times have you been stuck on a problem and stepped away and finally the answer came to you? Same kind of concept.

One thing that I found interesting is that there are no federal regulations for lunch or coffee breaks, but some states do have regulations. Neither of the Carolinas are not among these. But the article does provide some tips on convincing your boss to be able to break to eat and relax your brain, including a rather humorous suggestion to just make a "low blood sugar scene of dramatic proportions." Hahaa.. Hopefully you won't have to go these lengths to have a meal midday.

Everyone is busy and hopefully you can find a way to fit in some refreshment for both your stomach and brain and increase your productivity and success in whatever you do! Take a moment to answer our poll! And as for me? I think I'm going to go get something to eat!

Do you take lunch?

Read: MSNBC Why the Lunch Break Is Going Extinct

-Rosie Reilman

No comments: